Radio Talk > CW

CW Question

<< < (2/3) > >>

KB3LAZ:
well I have quite a few rigs but I want one more:arf2: .
I want a new rig that I will use for cw purposes only.
My question is what will do the best all around job.
I hear that the ProIII is a bad choice for example.
I dont need an electronic key unless I have to use one.
I kinda wanted it to be a simple straight key.
Thx and 73

WA9UAA:
Thanks for the update. For smooth CW I\'d go with Ten Tec. For strictly CW they don\'t get much better. The next questions involves what your operating conditions and location are like. Do you need/ want extra bells and whistles or a more simplistic rig?
Do you feel the need for crystal filters vs. DSP filtering etc.? Are you dealing with a high noise environment?
Rob WA9UAA

K0DXC:
I would suggest a rig that lets you vary the width of the filters in it. That can really help when trying to cut out noise or extra QRM. I also think that DSP would be a nice extra option, same with a preamp.

KB3LAZ:
Well they only band I seem to have a high noise level is 75m which I dont plan on running cw there, lol.
As for filters I like them on SSB as well as my dsp.
But when it comes to cw I dont know?
Im still using my code cds and a practice oscillator.
Now when it comes to ten tec man those look nice, but that price tag ouch.
But if thats what it takes Ill get one.
What about the K3 I hear they are great for cw.
Thx

WA9UAA:
Hi Again,
Can\'t tell you about the K3 except it and all the rigs in that performance class have lots of menu settings to set them up for CW or SSB etc. i.e. They\'re more complex to operate well because of the understanding needed to get the most out of the hardware. I noticed you haven\'t mentioned what rig you have. Perhaps you ought to get a CW filter for it and get your feet wet in CW operation before you spend any money.
Rob WA9UAA
:streichel:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version