Announcements and Welcomes > New member welcome

Hello. I've just adopted a FT-101

<< < (2/2)

mael:
Last night I took out a few caps.  I chose them because they happened to be in the  poorest physical shape.  Unfortunately I see one problem with re-capping as it's virtually impossible to decypher the remnants of the printed values.  If changing those three caps made a difference, it wasn't obvious.  Still the same low output.  Two of the caps I replaced had cracks all around and you could see the film inside.  The other one was physically sound.  I might put the OK looking one back and try to find some more I can change.  I haven't got all that many old boards to get components from these days.  Maybe I should try to order the 'cards' as one unit instead of trying to fix problems within each 'card?'

Not a huge problem though because I am going to try once again to download a circuit diagram and hopefully find something in the service manual which can point me in the right direction to solve the lack of volume and the apparent lack of sensitivity - along with the intriguing lack of proper response when trying to tune in the pre-select.

Hmmm???  Could there be something with the unresponsive pre-select and it's associated circuit?  I just hope it isn't FET because I haven't a clue where I might find one of those and I'm sure it will be a lengthy process to get one.

Well off to go and find something to download.

Yes.  I know I can edit without making a new post.  Actually I hardly ever post anywhere on the 'net, and I only use English here.  It's nice to practice English sometimes.

mael:
I downloaded the service manual for the FT-101.  It's  some 221 pages long!  I was sure I clicked the printer options to do it in monochrome but when I looked at the first print I saw it was in colour.  Colour's expensive so my better half is going to want to kick me in the bow lorks twice for that!

I read here and there while the printer was clunking away and I think the manual is nicely written and clear.  Of course I didn't get to any details, but I can see that if I follow the methods explained in it I should eventually be able to fix what's wrong.

I only want to listen to what's out there.  I have no intention of transmitting in the foreseeable future.  So that means there's a lot in the manual I won't need to read - until I get the urge to broadcast.

221 pages!!!   :o

mael:
I just wanted to say I've continued this topic in the 'Ham Radio Repair' forum.

If you have any great ideas or hints I'd be pleased to hear them.  But I shall try to find answers on Youtube and elsewhere on this BBS as I go along.

I have the feeling this is mostly a cap problem.  But the caps might have created other issues. I'd so like to send it in for repair by someone who knows the set.  But I will at least try to do it myself.  I'm going at a snail's pace because I don't want to make it even more complicated, but even so I've got at least one 750V shock already!  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version