Author Topic: #83 Back to Basic Radio Troubleshooting  (Read 6908 times)

Offline The Radio Shop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
#83 Back to Basic Radio Troubleshooting
« on: December 05, 2016, 10:41:39 PM »
#83 Back to Basic Radio Troubleshooting
In this video we take a look at a 5 dollar black box radio. CB radios are a good learning platform if ytou are just starting out in radio electronics. They can be bought for a few bucks. This radio was manufactured over seas and has been reproduced under many names. It uses the standard export EPT3600 board. Can we make the radio work again? Lets find out.

Link to schematic and service information
http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/galaxy/dx33hml/index.htm

Contact information
http://gokarters.com/smf/index.php?topic=2549.0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jga0oTGjLOw
Buddy kc4umo

Offline AB5NI

• View Profile
Re: #83 Back to Basic Radio Troubleshooting
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 01:27:35 AM »
Great video, Buddy. As you mentioned, as hams, we can use these rigs, as long as we clean up their spectral purity. That really shouldn't be that big of a deal.  I'm pretty sure we could just properly align these rigs and add a decent low-pass filters for 10 meters.

I'm wondering if you ever considered building a 10 meter FM repeater out of these "radios? "  There are a couple of them on 10, and most of them are linked to their 2 meter repeaters, allowing the users to work DX from 2  while driving around in the car. Even if the band is dead, locals can use the repeater, offloading traffic from 2 and 440. All they require is a remote 220 MHz link  -- no duplexers at this frequency :D -- a  few miles of spacing, and a couple of dipoles, and you're ready to rock. Well, they require a bit more than that, of course, but you get the idea.

BTW, I sent the FCC folks in charge of enforcement an e-mail, and I asked them if their was an auction that sold these rigs and other confiscated equipment to hams, and I have yet to get a response. Should I not receive one, I'm going to get some friends of mine in government to find out why this isn't happening and see if they can correct this error :D. 73, Randy AB5NI

Offline RJ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 02:46:57 PM »
Great video Buddy. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Offline The Radio Shop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 08:14:48 PM »
Thanks Guys. Sorry so late and short on replies, very busy here.
Buddy kc4umo

Offline km4gig

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 09:19:24 PM »
I used this video to help track down why a marine radio wouldn't power up. It turned out to be the switch, so I jumped across the terminals and she fired up. It makes noise and the buttons do stuff, so I guess I'll be buying a 10K switch pot and playing around with it. The only problem is I can't find any info on it anywhere. the front of the radio says unimetrics SeaHawk 88 and the back shows model no. SH 88. That's about all i can tell you about it.

Offline The Radio Shop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 11:02:29 PM »
I used this video to help track down why a marine radio wouldn't power up. It turned out to be the switch, so I jumped across the terminals and she fired up. It makes noise and the buttons do stuff, so I guess I'll be buying a 10K switch pot and playing around with it. The only problem is I can't find any info on it anywhere. the front of the radio says unimetrics SeaHawk 88 and the back shows model no. SH 88. That's about all i can tell you about it.

Great that you tracked down the problem Take a picture of the switch and post it. Perhaps we can help find one.
Buddy kc4umo

Offline RJ

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 08:11:04 AM »

I got a ton of old CB's laying around for parts. Like buddy said post us a pic of it so we can help you find one. If I have one that will work I will mail it to you for free.