Radio Talk > Questions and Answers

Call Letters ????

(1/3) > >>

Being Conformed:
Okay, so gimme the basics (cliff notes please):

How do arrive at your \'call letters\'  \'user handle\'?

What is the actual term to describe your \'handle\' \'call letter\'?

Why do some have \'W\' and some \'K\'?

:dontgetit: :dontgetit:

KC4UMO:
After completion of an Amateur radio test (and pass) The FCC (Federal Communication Commission) assigns the call sign. Now the prefix letter is or was a designator of classification.
Novice = K 2x3
Technician = N 1x3
General and Advance = W 1x3 2x3
Extra class = A 2x1

My call is a 2x3 "KC4UMO"
The number is the call district.

I may be wrong on a couple of those. Been a while.

My Call starts with K. However It was the first call I got and never changed with the upgrades.

BTW, good to see you.

crazy:
I remember a friend was into this many years ago.   I could swear his # was KAKO1175.  Maybe I am wrong, but that sounds so right. Whatdoya think?

Being Conformed:
Thanks, Buddy!  Nice to see you too.   Not sure I completely understand it all.  

I thought that each person got to make up the call letters kind of personalized like ppl do with license plates.

Crazy, not sure what you mean about the one you listed.   I think this is not my territory - lol.

KI4RVH:

--- Quote from: crazy;15643 ---I remember a friend was into this many years ago.   I could swear his # was KAKO1175.  Maybe I am wrong, but that sounds so right. Whatdoya think?
--- End quote ---

That sounds like an old CB callsign.  They used to have to have callsigns.  They all had 4 numbers at the end.  Ours was like KCE4950 if I remember right.  It was good for the whole family.  That was like 25 years ago.  Wow I\'m gettin old!

73 (best regards)

Chris

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version