Author Topic: Yahoo \'Phorm\'  (Read 5724 times)

Offline m3jzt

• View Profile
Yahoo \'Phorm\'
« on: January 07, 2009, 09:24:54 AM »
Yahoo is Tracking Group Members

If you belong to ANY Yahoo Groups - be aware that Yahoo is now using "Web Beacons" to track every Yahoo Group use

It\'s similar to cookies, but allows Yahoo to record every website and every group you visit, even when you\'re not connected to Yahoo.

Look at their updated privacystatement at

http://info.yahoo.com/privacy/us/yahoo/details.html

About half-way down the page, in the section on *cookies*, you will see a link that says *WEB BEACONS*.

Click on the phrase "Web Beacons." On the page that opens, on the left find a box entitled "Opt-Out."

In that section find "opt-out of interest-matched advertising" link that will let you "opt-out" of their snooping. Click it and then click the
opt-out button on the next page.

Note that Yahoo\'s invasion of your privacy - and your ability to opt-out of it - is not user-specific. It is MACHINE specific. That means you will have to opt-out on every computer (and browser) you use.

Please forward this to your other groups. You might complain, too, but I\'m not sure if anyone is listening. I remember when they signed all users up to get spam and we had to opt out of that a few years ago.

Not a nice program, and it is something I believe will become an invasion of privacy on a major scale at some time in the future.

Needless to say, in these days of intrusive snooping by corporations and governments, opting out may not actually achieve anything.......Disturbing.

Offline crazy

• VIP MEMBER
    • View Profile
    • http://
Yahoo \'Phorm\'
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 06:27:31 PM »
I am not a member of any groups, but use Yahoo Messenger constantly.  Is there any danger to using the Messenger, if I don\'t join any group?   Thanx for the info.  

Crazy
Peace will not be found at a MidEast table. Peace began at a MidEast STABLE, but everyone seems to deny it.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.
Believing in  evolution is like expecting a tornado to go through a junkyard and create a Mercedes Benz on its way out!
If you don\'t stand behind our US troops, then please feel free to stand in front of them. Yea, that\'s what I thought..........