Author Topic: uniden washington  (Read 12990 times)

Offline smoke blower

• View Profile
uniden washington
« on: March 13, 2012, 07:57:15 PM »
 i have a uniden washington some channels work some dont it was just 23,24and 25 but now more have dropped out.this radio has not been in to no mods have been done at all. i can put the radio on 22 and talk to some of the guys when they go to some of the other channels i cant hear them or talk to them . i was hopeing someone has run into this problem or could help me with what it could be this is very weird .if it had some channel mods i could see this might be a problem but like i said the radio has never been touched.

Offline The Radio Shop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: uniden washington
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 09:42:13 PM »
Are the channels dropping out in line? 1,2,3,ect
Or are the scatered? Could be a VCO issues or even a channel selector problem.
Buddy kc4umo

Offline smoke blower

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 10:59:47 AM »
they are scatered out i can replace the channel selector but i dont know anything about what the vco is or how to test and fix it my be you can help me with it if you dont mind

Offline The Radio Shop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 09:31:36 PM »
sure I will be glad to help. Give me a bit to look things over and post some schematics
Buddy kc4umo

Offline hackindave

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 07:46:24 AM »
Thus have the 8719 chip in it. I assume it does if it is a Uniden. If it has the PC-385 PCB board, this should be the alignment for it

Attach frequency counter to TP1 (R157)which is located directly next to L27. Also make sure clarifier is dead center or you will be in never never land.

For the loop oscillator set radio as below and adust coil or cap for the frequency listed

AM  L20 34.985
LSB L19 34.9825
USB CT3 34.9875
TX frequency VR3 34.985

once finished, check all frequencies again as sometimes they will change on you.

For the offset oscillator attach counter to Tp3 which is R101 in the middle of the board towards the rear

Am  L17  27.185
LSB CT2  7.7975
USB Ct1  7.8025

Again recheck as they can change, especially with a tuner or you hand near to change the inductance.

VCO ALignment

Connect your meter or osciilsope (if you are lucky enough to have one) to TP9 which should be the top leg of R72 located just below the VCO card.
Set your radio to channel one (if you have extras put it on your lowest channel.). Adjust L13 so that the base voltage just starts to lift, (should be somewhere around 2 volts.)
Check for TX. If it will not TX, adjust L13 until it starts transmitting.
Go to your highest channel and check the voltage. It should be 6.8 or less and make sure that the radio transmits.

If the radio does not work by this point, let me know as there are more steps to be followed, but you should see some improvement by this point.

Sorry RT for jumping in front of you....

Offline The Radio Shop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 08:18:24 AM »
Nothing to be sorry about bro.
Be my guest :)
Buddy kc4umo

Offline smoke blower

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 01:29:06 PM »
i   will have to put the radio aside for now.i only have a watt,swr and modulation meter,volt meter and dummy load which is not much but thats all i can aford for now thanks for the help.

Offline The Radio Shop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 06:05:59 PM »
One other thing you need my friend. Determination!.  Just because you only have a hand full of tools do not let that stop you.

Do a google on rf probe. Build one. That will take the place of a scope.
Buddy kc4umo

Offline smoke blower

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 07:36:58 PM »
thanks radio tech i will check it out and try to build one i dont have alot of education on electronics tring to learn a little on my own with some trial and errors. some things i can do but some things i have a hard time understanding anyway thanks i will check it out and see if i can build it.but dont i also need a scope  . not to be stupid but i dont know how it works morless how to use it.i have never seen any cb test equipment other than what i see on the web i am not sure how any of it works i would love to learn how to use it all but there is no onr around to help me with it in 150miles what little i know i have learned from you and some others that took the time to reply to my post and help me with some problems i have run in to and i really appreciate it i have chated with some really nice people on cbtricks and this site.

Offline The Radio Shop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 06:04:23 AM »
You connect the rf probe to a volt meter set to low ac scale. It will then reflect rf reading on the meter. Very simple toll to build.
Check these links out. First one shows how to use it.
http://www.qrpkits.com/rfprobe.html

Shows how simple it is to build
http://golddredgervideo.com/kc0wox/rfprobe.htm
Buddy kc4umo