Author Topic: npc mod  (Read 13344 times)

Offline smoke blower

• View Profile
npc mod
« on: April 07, 2012, 02:24:34 PM »
what is a npc mod.i here of techs doing this but not sure how or what is done.they say it makes your radio louder and gives it swing.i thought most galaxy cbs had swing most dead key 1 watt and swing 20 or 30 watts isnt that where the swing comes in when you have a low dead key and swings the rest.anyway if the npc mod helps with the radio sound more powerfull could some one help me with how its done . i would love to crank up my ranger 2980 wx.it dead keys 1 watt and swings 40

Offline hackindave

• View Profile
Re: npc mod
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 08:18:11 PM »
The whole name for it is NPC-RC which stands for Negative Peak Conversion-Reduced Carrier. What it does is (as I under stand it) is compresses the negative peaks of your modulation. I had gotten into radios back in the mid 70's and learned a lot from a local tech, then learned more on my own later by experimentation. I even ran a small radio shop out of my house, but a ugly divorce ended that.
Any way I am now getting back into them and unfortunately have never done one of these conversions, but from what I have heard around the net, a lot of people like it. It makes your radio modulate louder without the distortion

Offline smoke blower

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 07:51:22 AM »
I would like to know how to do this.i heard this was a good mod to do.if anyone could explain how to do this mod i know you change a diode but i dont know which one it would be.i hope someone could help.

Offline hackindave

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 12:21:25 AM »
There is more to it than just the diode mod. But not much. Try reading this link.
http://www.cbdoctorstudygroup.com/npc-rc-modification-for-3600xxx-board-t36.html
Billy has done a lot with this mod. He admits he is not the one to come up with it, but he has spent time with it.

Offline smoke blower

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 10:58:04 AM »
Thanks i will look at it and maybe try it on my galaxy 949

Offline smoke blower

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 07:29:22 PM »
I tried the mod and it worked well i appreciate the help

Offline hackindave

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 08:00:35 AM »
A lot of people knock it, but what I have seen and found from person experience it works good as long as you follow instructions.

Offline dnolan747

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 12:52:20 AM »
There is more to it than just the diode mod. But not much. Try reading this link.
http://www.cbdoctorstudygroup.com/npc-rc-modification-for-3600xxx-board-t36.html
Billy has done a lot with this mod. He admits he is not the one to come up with it, but he has spent time with it.

I know this is an old post but that was the link to my post for the 3600xxx board. I had made 3 or 4 post on that forum about this mod for 3 or 4 different boards and had gotten many thanks for the step by step instructions for this mod. I for whatever reason never could post it to the CBT forum and dont know if i can here so i was emailing it to numerous members there. if anyone is interested in it i can try to post them here..... I love this mod and have done many many radios thanks to BDW (RIP Brother)

Dean

Offline sonoma

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 02:46:10 AM »
Dean maybe Buddy will chime in and let you know what limits he has as far as posting size. I know cbtricks was hard to post on unless you use photobucket or one of those programs to host it on..  the 1st npc/rc mod I did was on a galaxy 88 I ran in my pickup in about 2002. its not a bad mod.

Smoke Blower is still around but not sure how much he post here. he was posting on another forum and the last 2 months he has quit. I guess I need to emil him to see how he is doing.
sonoma

Offline The Radio Shop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2017, 11:36:31 AM »
posting it here is fine. Just make sure you use an edit program like  MS office to edit the pictures to large web 640 x 480
Buddy kc4umo