Other Hobbies > The Old Tractor Forum

ID and Restore an original MTD 990

(1/7) > >>

The Radio Shop:
What is it?
I found out what this tractor is.
It is an original MTD 990. Somewhere between 1972 and 1974.

The Radio Shop:
That was my first guess as  it being a sears. I went to a tractor forum today and link some pics over. With in an hour I had several replies.  And was shocked to find the answer.

Come to find out this tractor was made by MTD in the very early 70's. So we now know the maker. Just have to find the model.  I am told that they did not use tags but stamped on serial data.  And they told me where to look. So will do that one day this week.

I also found that this tractor has been re-baged over 20 times. So there are many "models" out there. All the same but different paint schemes. JC Penney, Orion, Unico, Alis Chambers, Montgomery Ward, just to name a few.

That engine is a cast iron 10 hp Briggs and Stratton. I already ran the numbers on it. Biggest 10 hp I ever seen lol.

Going to be a fun restore. Most of the parts are there and they still make stuff for this one :)
The exhaust is a mess for sure. 

Here is a pic of a restored Unico.

The Radio Shop:
Got the front wheels off last night. Tires are shot. I already have 2 new ones. But need inner tubes. I dont this the rims will old air at this point.

The Radio Shop:
Got the tractor in the shop. Started disassemble process.
I now know this is a MTD 900 series tractor. Just not sure of the make.
The id tag is just a piece of foil and the printing is gone.
If I can get the steer wheel off then remove the dash may be able to put under the microscope to read it.

The Radio Shop:
more pics

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version