Author Topic: My first home brewed solid state receiver  (Read 4756 times)

Offline k7rmj

• View Profile
My first home brewed solid state receiver
« on: December 03, 2016, 06:45:10 PM »
About 5 or 6 years ago I got a wild hair and decided to learn about those funny little transistor gadgets. That is when I discovered just how good Doug Demaw, W1FB was. I found a design I thought would be fairly easy (if there is such a thing) in W1FB's QRP Notebook on page 83, "A No Frills Superhet". Ordered circuit boards for the receiver from Fair Circuits and most of the parts from Dan's Small Parts and Kits in Montana. It went together pretty easy. I only smoked a couple of LM386 audio amps before I found the wiring error LOL. Then I built a pair of converters for 80 and 40 meters. See page 89 of the same book. I built them Manhatten style on bare circuit board material and stuffed them into Altoids tins. The final results are amazingly good. It actually works quite well. Between those and a pair of modifiedTUNA-Tin-2 transmitters I have a neat little QRP station. Give this a try. They work quite well.

Offline The Radio Shop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: My first home brewed solid state receiver
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 08:54:48 PM »
Thanks for sharing this. I love a good homebrew station.  I think this is one of the best ways to get your feet wet in electronics. An so much fun! You can learn a lot from these type of builds. And don't worry about letting the magic smoke out. Without failures there is nothing to learn.
Thanks again
Buddy
Buddy kc4umo

Offline RJ

• View Profile
Re: My first home brewed solid state receiver
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 01:02:43 PM »
That is really cool. Thanks for sharing.