Author Topic: B&K 2040 Repair video  (Read 47188 times)

Offline The Radio Shop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: B&K 2040 Repair video
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2016, 05:28:06 AM »
Tell me more about that scope you mentioned. I bought a Marconi 2018 to use until I can figure out the 2040. Of course, I'm gonna use the 2018 but I still like the 2040.

That 2018 also showed me that Victore freq counter was off ass well.

One of the best scopes for cb repair is the Sencore CS-61. It is a great unit. The Tek 2235 is another good unit,
Buddy kc4umo

Offline Derrick

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2017, 06:31:23 PM »
Buddy, I have been watching your videos and reading quite a few of your posts.  You are a good tech sir.  I started out in electronics but moved to a different field years ago.  I still love radio and love to tinker on my bench.  I have been thinking of getting the 2040/1040 set to align my radios and then friends radios once I have proven myself.

Two questions:  1, what if any are the things to watch out for when buying the 2040/1040 on an auction site?  I know they will likely need some work and an alignment.  2, Any chance you will do a video demonstration the alignment procedure of a CB radio?

Cheers

Offline The Radio Shop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2017, 08:12:56 PM »
Buddy, I have been watching your videos and reading quite a few of your posts.  You are a good tech sir.  I started out in electronics but moved to a different field years ago.  I still love radio and love to tinker on my bench.  I have been thinking of getting the 2040/1040 set to align my radios and then friends radios once I have proven myself.

Two questions:  1, what if any are the things to watch out for when buying the 2040/1040 on an auction site?  I know they will likely need some work and an alignment.  2, Any chance you will do a video demonstration the alignment procedure of a CB radio?

Cheers

Hi Derrick and welcome to the forums.
The 2040/1040 is a great unit to have. Really nice at alignment. 
Is cb all you are interested in?
If yes then it is fine. But for the same money you may can get a better unit that will cover ham radio frequencies.  This is more versatile just in case you want to expand your knowledge.  Something like the HP 8640B. Gave 100 bucks for mine and had it repairs in less than a day. Covers 0 to 500 MHz. Signal gen only.

With out being able to touch the unit not much you can really do. If buying on ebay use paypal and read all the sellers fine print. Even if buying from an auction pay with a secure credit card that can get your money back in case it is not as advertised.

I have been planning to do that when I can get time to start my new series on learning RF radio electronics.

Thank you for your kind words.
Buddy kc4umo

Offline Derrick

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2017, 10:13:02 AM »
CB is not all I am interested in, but I don't know how much I will/would align ham equipment and tend to be more interested in working on my old CBs in this way.   Also, I am under the impression that the the BK 1040/2040 set is probably a good gateway to aligning radios and getting familiar with the process.  I am under the impression that it is set up almost like an "alignment for dummies" book would be.  I have a BK 20mhz scope and 9 digit frequ counter.  I also have a Fluke DMM, analog meter, dummy load, power/SWR/tuner, and other equipment on my bench already so along with my electronics foundation from years ago, I am hopeful.

As for buying the BK set, the auction option is the only way I can find one and I don't do PayPal since I won't give up my bank routing #.  All the auctions say "selling for parts/as is" so they have no liability and since they are all like that, it sounds like my only option is to risk take a big change on buying a non-repairable set of junk.  That would be really hard to handle.

Offline The Radio Shop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2017, 02:48:08 PM »
CB is not all I am interested in, but I don't know how much I will/would align ham equipment and tend to be more interested in working on my old CBs in this way.   Also, I am under the impression that the the BK 1040/2040 set is probably a good gateway to aligning radios and getting familiar with the process.  I am under the impression that it is set up almost like an "alignment for dummies" book would be.  I have a BK 20mhz scope and 9 digit frequ counter.  I also have a Fluke DMM, analog meter, dummy load, power/SWR/tuner, and other equipment on my bench already so along with my electronics foundation from years ago, I am hopeful.

As for buying the BK set, the auction option is the only way I can find one and I don't do PayPal since I won't give up my bank routing #.  All the auctions say "selling for parts/as is" so they have no liability and since they are all like that, it sounds like my only option is to risk take a big change on buying a non-repairable set of junk.  That would be really hard to handle.

Another good thing about the combo 2940/1040 they are repairable.  Nothing really in the unobtainable list yet.  So yes you can buy a dead unit and fix it. Just takes time. There is service info on line and I have a couple of videos on them. I do have another unit (one of mine) that has developed a PLL problem.
Buddy kc4umo

Offline Derrick

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2017, 11:33:40 PM »
Very nice!  Do feel free to PM me if you hear of a 1040 or 2040 up for sale.
Best regards

Offline The Radio Shop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2017, 12:39:03 PM »
Sure will.
Buddy kc4umo

Offline capn357

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2017, 12:00:39 AM »
Porkchop
The holder is HC-18/U. I cannot remember the load capacitance. I do have it written down somewhere. One thing we have done in the past is send the old crystal in and they can figure it out.

If you run across that load capacitance for the 10.243 MHz crystal please post it because I need to try to get one of those.  I have a 2040 that is off frequency and upon inspection of the crystals, I discovered that BOTH are 10.240 MHz in my unit (the one that should be 10.243 has obviously been replaced at some point with another 10.240 MHz crystal.