Author Topic: New member from Houston area  (Read 7346 times)

Offline guitar_199

• View Profile
New member from Houston area
« on: December 13, 2016, 01:10:49 PM »
Hello one and all.  My name is Bob from the Houston, TX area.

From January 1975 to February 1977 I attended DeVry Institute of Technology in Dallas, Texas then worked 11 years on the Space Shuttle Flight Simulator at NASA JSC in Houston.    About 9 years into that job I made the jump  to the "dark side" of software development working first in operating system internals, then left and joined Concurrent Computer Corporation as a field analyst for 18 years.   I now work at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston as a software developer.

At this point in my life, I find that I am missing something.....   electronics.   Most of my work at NASA was in digital systems: Computers, signal conversion equipment, various hardware interfaces and such.

What I am longing to get back to... is communications and particularly tube guitar amps.  Back in the day, I fixed a CB or two for other people.... I still have a few that I would like to go through and renovate to make them usable again.    Guitar amps... I'd love to fix them, design them...  just "have a ball".

So while I have a decent background.... I am misging a lot of practical experience and that is what I am seeking to remedy now!!!

Offline k7rmj

• View Profile
Re: New member from Houston area
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 05:37:25 PM »
Hi Bob and welcome aboard. I am new here too and have found the gang on this forum to be very friendly and helpful. I'll bet your experience in digital equipment and systems will prove to be very valuable with the modern equipment, radios, audio systems, etc. Glad you found us.
Regards, Frank   de K7RMJ

Offline RJ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 06:00:13 PM »
Hey Bob, 

Welcome to the site. I'm kind of new around here myself.  Sounds like you got some great background in many things.  Love those old tube fender guitar amps. Sold my Super Champ along with one of my guitars few weeks ago to buy some CB test gear for the shop. Still have my RP350 but it is no where near as good as a real amp. Anyway glad to have you with us and look forward to some of your projects soon.

Offline The Radio Shop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 05:16:04 AM »
Welcome to the forum Bob. Pleasure having you here.  Sounds like you are looking for some fun.  One thing about it is the internet  can really help. So much information.  To get back to the basics and get some experience under the belt start with some simple projects. Then test then. See how they work. You already have a great back ground.
Buddy kc4umo