Author Topic: Arkansas Antenna  (Read 5519 times)

Offline k7rmj

• View Profile
Arkansas Antenna
« on: March 04, 2017, 06:39:35 PM »
The last post I put in this section was about the old Alliance HD-73 rotator not working and how the Mrs. got me a new one as a gift. Well, she actually didn't buy it for me, she put some cash in my ham radio savings account and said to go order what I needed.

So, here is "The Rest Of The Story" as Paul Harvey used to say. Grab a cold one and kick back in your favorite easy chair. I hope you enjoy it.

73 DE K7RMJ Frank

Offline The Radio Shop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Arkansas Antenna
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 05:13:32 AM »
Thanks Frank for a very interesting read my friend.
Buddy kc4umo

Offline k7rmj

• View Profile
Re: Arkansas Antenna
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 05:21:14 PM »
Here is some more of the "Rest of the Story". It is a bit long at 6 pages but I did manage to include a few pictures. I hope you enjoy it. Let me know if you do.

73 DE K7RMJ  Frank

Offline k7rmj

• View Profile
Arkansas Antenna is COMPLETED
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 02:29:22 PM »
YAAY, It's up and it works. The roof-climber guys shoed up yesterday and we got the tower installed and the antenna up and working. It's been a long project but finally completed. We put the tower up first and bolted it to the platform. Then we installed the antenna on the mast and the mast on the tower. The fun part was figuring out which direction was south LOL. Nobody had a functioning compass, so we looked up my address on Google Maps and eyeballed the direction the ridge peak of the roof was pointing. Then to get a precision installation we used the TLAR method. (That Looks About Right). After all, that beam has a 60 degree beam width at the 6db points in the radiation pattern. Yup, I stayed up too late last night playing around on 20 meters. It was open up to about 1800 miles until sometime after midnight. I gave up around 11pm. Needless to say, I am a happy camper now.
73 DE K7RMJ  Frank