Author Topic: Hello All  (Read 5605 times)

Offline N9whh

• View Profile
Hello All
« on: June 12, 2017, 11:19:52 PM »
Good evening.
By way of introduction, I would have to say that I have had an interest in electronics and radio since I turned on my first light switch when I was 2 years old, (according to my mother). I burned my fingers on my dad's soldering iron at an early age! (I remember it to this day, very plainly!) My dad dabbled in radio repair when I was very little, and one of my favorite memories is of all the old radios lying around our basement. I was always experimenting and wiring simple circuits, many times, using my electric train transformer as a power source. It is a tribute to the robustness of those old Lionel transformers, as it still survives today.

I only dabbled, myself, never having gone into electronics as an occupation, but ending up as a mechanical engineer and designer. My love of electronics has continued to this day, but never really had any formal training, until about 40 years ago. I took a correspondence course in TV/radio repair from NRI. (Anyone remember NRI? It's gone today, I suppose, but I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it all!)  I got into it just about the time that no one was repairing TVs anymore, but it was worth it. Never was any good working on TVs anyway.

I have always loved old radios, though. I restored my first one, an old Stewart Warner from the '30s that my grandparents had, at 16. I had a little coaching from my dad, but got it working. I still have it today. I have been doing it ever since.

I got my ham ticket in '93, staring out as a tech. and working my way up to Advanced then Extra class. I like to build my own rigs: having built my Elecraft K2 and K3. The K3 is my main rig, that I use on the HF bands, but really love those old tube rigs. I have several Heathkits that I have restored. Most recently a SB-102, SB-300, and a SB-400 and TX-1 (with SB-10) and RX-1 waiting in the wings. Just waiting until I have enough bench space to work on those. I have been collecting the boat anchors since I got my ticket.

With retirement in my future, I am looking forward to the restoration of what I now have, but am always looking to add more to the pile. Buddy, I look forward to your videos: they inspire my to keep going!

Thanks for the inspiration!

Regards,
Chris, N9WHH

Offline The Radio Shop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Hello All
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 10:00:08 AM »
Hi Chris,
Thanks for sharing that. Always great to hear where others are in the hobby.
Been a busy week here at work. Look forward from hearing more of your adventure.

Welcome to the forum. Little slow here at the moment.
Buddy kc4umo

Offline k7rmj

• View Profile
Re: Hello All
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 03:09:52 PM »
Greetings Chris and welcome aboard. Glad to have you join us all.

73 DE K7RMJ  Frank