Author Topic: President radio and speaker I bought.  (Read 9340 times)

Offline sonoma

• View Profile
President radio and speaker I bought.
« on: September 08, 2017, 10:14:33 AM »
I just bought a old non working President Washington and speaker that I have never seen this speaker before.  had to buy this just for the speaker. I have 3 of the radios I rebuilt a couple years ago so will have 4 after this one is repaired. has any one ever seen this speaker? I know I have never seen this one before. very interesting

http://www.ebay.com/itm/President-AM-SSB-Washington-Transceiver-Radio-Bay-Station-Type-40-Channel/162661590062?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Offline The Radio Shop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: President radio and speaker I bought.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 12:14:39 PM »
Nice score. You have picked up a speaker I have never seen before. Better hang on to that one.  BTW, great to see you.
Buddy kc4umo

Offline sonoma

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 01:46:09 PM »
it shows to be out for delivery today. I want to see what speaker is in that box. I have never seen this speaker either. will see if it has a big oval speaker in it when it gets here. looks like it could handle a 4x6 or 4x9 speaker. I have 3 of these radios that I rebuilt a couple years ago and put the controlled carrier mod in 2 of them that Laz had designed. . that mod really made them swing nice and clean but was a job installing it. that is why I only did 2 out of the 3.

Offline The Radio Shop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 08:49:34 AM »
Cool deal. Please post pictures of the details. Good score!
Buddy kc4umo

Offline sonoma

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 04:03:34 PM »
well I opened the radio and it does not look like it has ever been touched. it was dead at 1st  as the seller said. I blew out some of the dust and cleaned the controls and the radio started to respond. it needs to be recapped before I do any more.
the speaker box does have a nice oval speaker in it and sounds good. it has about a 20 oz magnet on it. plugged it in to a good radio and it sounds very good. nice clear and crisp audio out of it.
after I recap it I will let you know how it does. I am not in a hurry for it. did get a ranger TR696FD1 mobile working. paid 50.00 for it with free shipping and it works good now. just had some dirty controls and the radio works good. so many let a radio sett for a long time then sell it cheap because it does not work and controls are all that is wrong with the most of them I buy here lately.

Offline dnolan747

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 01:00:18 AM »
I really like this radio, that was definitely a good score, I have two of them in the shop one is a uniden Washington which is my very first base station bought in 1987 with a golden eagle d104 and the other is a president washington (same radio) which i got not long after i opened the shop here 7 years ago and both need to be recapped, anyway good score!!!!

Dean 

Offline sonoma

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 02:34:36 AM »
I like the old 858 PLL radios best. that is what this one is. I have 3 of them I rebuilt a couple years ago and only bought this one because of the  speaker.
I have searched on the web and have not found one like this one. also it is a all wood case and not a metal cover. I wiped down the cover and painted it with a non shiny black paint and it looks great now. a lot of the stock speakers go for way over 50.00 on ebay so I thought the 79.99 I paid with free shipping was not bad. it cost the guy 35.00 to ship  the radio and speaker on fedex. the box was 22 lbs and he had it wrapped good.