Author Topic: Hallicrafters S120  (Read 5408 times)

Offline kinkydoints

• KN4SNM
    • View Profile
Hallicrafters S120
« on: September 06, 2018, 08:34:28 AM »
I just found a S120 on craig's list for cheap...25.00$ 
now I would like to do some up grading. there are a few solid state parts im not familiar with the way they look. I have a few pictures as is just opened the radio up. I know of "bumble bee caps" but im looking for the selenium diode ...there is a black with silver sides that looks like it is the correct place for it to be this but no ID on it ...  there in the pic under the speaker transformer and BBcap , those rectangle resistors ( 3) black with silver ends? power connection there as well . will the 1n4007 diode be the correct replacement? ordered a cap kit from hayseed has the multi cap paper that is on top of board as well, that has not been replaced , by those pink caps...
KN4SNM

Offline kinkydoints

• KN4SNM
    • View Profile
Re: Hallicrafters S120
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 12:55:10 PM »
also looking at what appears to be a cap with 6 leads there flat disc rectangle ? no idea??
KN4SNM

Offline The Radio Shop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 08:32:40 PM »
In the first picture I do not see a selenium diode at all.  I need to look at the schematic tomorrow.
The back object with silver ends looks like a precision resistor or capacitor. An ohm meter may tell.

In the second picture that flat pack with the 6 legs is a resistor pack. There are multiple resistors inside. think of it as a crude attempt at a IC.
Buddy kc4umo

Offline kinkydoints

• KN4SNM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 06:07:17 PM »
thanks Buddy I have done a little looking at the insides of this unit as well as some reviews of other videos on youtube and found that diode...is connected to the upper bumble cap and also the first fuse resistor in my picture it is just visible under that rectangle fuse resistor upper right corner has the yellow wire to it from the line cord/volume pot, is blue with a aluminum body look but does test as a diode . and has diode markings ---|>|---  just got my cap kit , from hayseed some one has done some work in here that is not really up to standard...that brown lac line running from the AC input right to the volume control. and going to the standby/ receive  switch . more home work yet to do . Im hopeful this will work again. as of now just static . as for that 455 khz BFO circuit module , on the .jpg schematic the JL Fuhring addition looks like the upgrade for a later date.
KN4SNM