Author Topic: Rigol DSA 815 Spectrum Analyzer  (Read 4441 times)

Offline WA2MO

• View Profile
Rigol DSA 815 Spectrum Analyzer
« on: September 01, 2018, 11:32:41 PM »
Looking for some suggestions for my newly acquired toy...... 1) I know a DC block is a good thing to have going into the input of the analyzer,  is there a specific type I should purchase.  2) I would like to use this to monitor RF from a transceiver or transmitter to check performance related issues.... I believe I should get a 100 watt 40db attenuator minimum to protect the front end of the analyzer.... but perhaps I could be over thinking this...  I do have a couple of Bird RF samplers which would probably suffice but am unsure as how to set them up.

I'm a newbie to this type of toy....  I did look at some local signals and was pretty impressed at what this machine can do.... too bad there isn't a Spectrum Analyzer for "dummies" video fo this analyzer.   Any suggestions would be elcome.  Thanks in advance.

Mark 

Offline The Radio Shop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Rigol DSA 815 Spectrum Analyzer
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 01:44:06 PM »
Hi Mark. I use a bird meter with a 40dm of attenuation.  Comes off te sample port. Never a problem.
I also at times use a small antenna with a right angle bnc. The SA receives the signal just fine and you can see any anomalies present, just cannot make accurate measurements this way.  There are a few videos on YouTube. I will see if I can find them.

Welcome to the forum.
Buddy kc4umo

Offline WA2MO

• View Profile
Re: Rigol DSA 815 Spectrum Analyzer
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 07:32:48 PM »
Ok Buddy...   I do have a Bird Meter but it does not have the sample port installed.  I'll be looking on You Tube to see if I can find something.  I do have two ( "T" Style ) Bird RF Variable RF Samplers Series 4273. One has a range of 1.3 - 35mhz and is capable of 40 to 70 db of attenuation below the main power level. The range of the other is 20mhz - 1ghz. and is capable of 35 to 80db of attenuation from the main power level.... I believe these would do the trick... just uncertain as how to set them up for reliability.  Guess that's enough for now off to do some more searching..