Author Topic: Repeater Usage  (Read 15185 times)

Offline K0DXC

• View Profile
    • http://www.qrz.com/callsign/k0dxc
Repeater Usage
« on: February 18, 2008, 04:31:21 PM »
How many of you regularly use repeaters?

I used to have a 2 meter radio on most of the time but I disconnected that long ago to make room for HF
Cal, K0DXC

Offline WV6Z

• View Profile
Repeater Usage
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 04:37:29 PM »
I listen to a local machine in the mornings on my way home from work. There are a couple of guys I catch up with on there who are either on their way to work or are retired. Often there is as many as 6 or 7 of us on there in the mornings and it helps pass the time on the commute. I used to run 10m mobile also, but, until the band improves, it\'ll stay on the shelf out of the way for the moment.
Regards,
Tom ~ WV6Z

Offline K0DXC

• View Profile
Repeater Usage
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 04:43:13 PM »
Yes, most people I talk to are mobile on their way to work or the store
Cal, K0DXC

Offline KI4RVH

• View Profile
Repeater Usage
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 12:55:42 AM »
I keep the local 2 meter machine on most of the time.  Thats how I keep in touch with my local friends.  If someone worked some good DX or 10 meters is open someone will usually jump in and let everyone else know.  I also keep in touch with my wife on 2 meters on her way to work/home/etc.  

Chris

:music334:

PS- I like all the smiley icons.

Offline KC4UMO

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.
Repeater Usage
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 05:13:36 AM »
I very seldom use repeaters anymore. Nothing against them.  I guess by being a ex repeater owner I got enough of it.

I agree with the smiloes :)

Offline K0DXC

• View Profile
Repeater Usage
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 04:29:10 PM »
Every club meeting we discuss how we are going to use a $10,000 donation made to us to buy 2 repeaters, we still always end up needing $3,000 more whichever way we look at it. Arguments can go on forever!!!!!

:argue:
Cal, K0DXC

Offline KC8TCQ

• View Profile
Repeater Usage
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 01:36:04 PM »
I monitor the local repeaters, there are 3-4 of them here they get pretty regular use. SOme of the people on them include a Motorola Service Tech, a guy ho owns a radio/antenna installation/service company, two truck drivers that run a regular route from Chicago to Cleveland daily, and some locals who go for a 4-5 mile walk every day and take their HT\'s along for company.

I also monitor them during severe weather, and participate in a few emergency communications nets on VOIP. I am considering putting up either a 220 or a 6m repeater for the heck of it. Also we will be putting one of our local repeaters (housed here at the EOC) onto Echo/IRLP.

I also hang out on 10m SSB and 2m simplex.
73 de Keith KC8TCQ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline WS2L

• View Profile
Repeater Usage
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 08:06:33 AM »
I regularly monitor the repeater belonging to the club I am a member of. I also do some simplex work on 2 meters but since my 13B2 is horizontally polarized I usually stick to the repeater.

Offline W3QJ

• View Profile
Hardly ever
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 09:09:59 PM »
I used them some when I first go on the air. Lost interest in them after I got into CW. Sometimes when I travel out of town I\'ll scan around for one to yak on to find out a little about the town I\'m in. I like 2m SSB and mostly CW on the HF bands.

Offline KC8TCQ

• View Profile
Repeater Usage
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 09:22:05 AM »
I forgot to mention that when I travel, I\'ll look up the local repeater info and program them into my HT and/or mobile rig. It is kinda fun to talk to new hams in other areas, met some really great people in Raleigh NC over the radio last week.
73 de Keith KC8TCQ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline KC4UMO

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.
Repeater Usage
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 09:39:56 AM »
SInce my friend passed away I been monitoring the repeaters more while out mobile. Man it\'s a ghost town out there. Friday and saturday the only thing I heard on the local repeaters were the id\'s

Offline Bigmic919

• View Profile
Re: Repeater Usage
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2014, 09:46:24 AM »
I monitor the local repeater in my area all the time but my problem around here is most of the guys that use them are retired and are on during the day while I am working. I do get on from time to time but mostly just monitor.

KK4TYV