Author Topic: Drilling for Oil off our coast  (Read 23234 times)

Offline KI4RVH

• View Profile
Drilling for Oil off our coast
« on: June 18, 2008, 07:49:40 PM »
Bush today said he was going to push again for drilling oil off our coast.  Rep. Sue Myrick of NC has been pushing for it as well.  We are the only industrialized Nation that has a coast that doesn\'t drill off of it.  In recent times we\'ve not heard about any problems with spills and what not with drilling off the coast of Texas.  Some groups say there is minimal risk.  Others say it will destroy the environment.  Do you think drilling is a good idea and will it help solve our problems?  It sounds good to me.  What does everyone else think?

Chris

Offline WV6Z

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 11:40:18 PM »
Not to worry, Obama immediately said he will not allow it to happen due to the risk of the environmental impacts.
Regards,
Tom ~ WV6Z

Offline KB3LAZ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 12:37:54 AM »
I dont think it would cause any problems.
These Eco conservative nuts are to high strung.
Now will it help out with the price of gas, not likely.
Well at least not for quite awhile.
Even when and if it does help out I doubt it will be more than marginal.
73 de kb3laz

Offline WV6Z

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 05:12:27 AM »
Kinda sounds like the right time to do a little research in to alternative fuels to me.  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XDTDSGZK0s

Version II is on the drawing board right now......
Regards,
Tom ~ WV6Z

Offline KI4RVH

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 12:39:57 PM »
Quote from: WV6Z;16239
Not to worry, Obama immediately said he will not allow it to happen due to the risk of the environmental impacts.

I don\'t think Obama is going to win. I\'m one of those religious people with guns that scare him.  Theres quite a few of us that won\'t vote for him.  I\'m not a great big fan of McCain but I\'ll vote for him before I vote for Obama.  I wish we had a third good choice, but oh well.

Chris

Offline KI4RVH

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 12:46:51 PM »
We can grow Sugar cane right here in NC and SC.  

Chris

*NOTE* Oooops, sorry Chris, I didn\'t mean to edit your post,only quote it to say \'And sugar cane beats the daylights out of corn with regard to alcohol production.\'

Offline KI4RVH

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 12:50:59 PM »
Quote from: KB3LAZ;16243
I dont think it would cause any problems.
These Eco conservative nuts are to high strung.
Now will it help out with the price of gas, not likely.
Well at least not for quite awhile.
Even when and if it does help out I doubt it will be more than marginal.

You got a point about it not helping the price any time soon.  It would take a long time for us to produce enough to where we could cut off the middle east.  And by then the public may be so used to high prices that the oil companies could just keep the price high.  We\'re screwed either way aren\'t we?

Chris

Offline K0DXC

• View Profile
    • http://www.qrz.com/callsign/k0dxc
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 06:06:41 PM »
I think we need to drill for oil off coast. If we don\'t, our children\'s future will be harsh.
Cal, K0DXC

Offline KI4RVH

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 06:16:28 PM »
Quote from: KI4RVH;16250
We can grow Sugar cane right here in NC and SC.  

Chris

*NOTE* Oooops, sorry Chris, I didn\'t mean to edit your post,only quote it to say \'And sugar cane beats the daylights out of corn with regard to alcohol production.\'

No big deal Cal.  I\'ve almost done it myself.  I was just saying that there was a country and SOuth America that runs the whole country on Sugar Cane gas and they depend on no one else for fuel.  

Chris

Offline WV6Z

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 07:51:29 PM »
Can\'t blame that one on Cal, either, I was the one that messed up. :icon_rolleyes:

I do agree though sugar cane is the way to go.
Regards,
Tom ~ WV6Z

Offline KB3LAZ

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 09:18:52 PM »
Quote from: K0DXC;16252
I think we need to drill for oil off coast. If we don\'t, our children\'s future will be harsh.

Its gonna be that way no matter what we do.
73 de kb3laz

Offline KB3LAZ

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 09:21:27 PM »
Quote from: WV6Z;16244
Kinda sounds like the right time to do a little research in to alternative fuels to me.  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XDTDSGZK0s

Version II is on the drawing board right now......

This is true as well, however as long as there is a profit in oil this will never happen. It may be explored but it will not be put into mass production until there is no other choice.
73 de kb3laz

Offline KI4RVH

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 09:39:17 PM »
Quote from: WV6Z;16255
Can\'t blame that one on Cal, either, I was the one that messed up. :icon_rolleyes:

I do agree though sugar cane is the way to go.

Thats all right Tom.  I forgive you!:arf2:

Chris

Offline KU0DM

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 10:27:29 PM »
Quote from: K0DXC;16252

Why? We drilled endlessly in the early 1900\'s, the oil boom of America. Our future already looks harsh because of our dependence on black gold.

The problem with drilling off coast is that it won\'t lower gas prices. It\'s not the availability of gas that is driving prices up, it is Wallstreet. People have been buying lots of petroleum bonds, and speculators keep saying it will go higher because of our thirst for it, thus driving the value of it up.

Most people think that our energy industry is like currency. The more in production or circulation, the cheaper. It doesn\'t work that way, the more in production the more we use. The more we use, the more expensive it becomes.

If we drill of coast, that won\'t budge the gas prices one bit. Saudi Arabia recently agreed to up its output of crude oil, you\'ll notice gas either stayed the same or went higher. Why? Because investors knew that more would be consumed at that point, creating a larger and larger market for petroleum, making it more valuable.

Plus there are many environmental and personal risks to drilling off shore, drilling for oil as it is isn\'t safe, now doing that over water makes it riskier. Plus in the Gulf to boot! Imagine what happens if a big hurricane comes through, those platforms could easily be heavily damaged, OR destroyed by the power of storms. It\'s like playing in the freeway.  

People think by decreasing our dependence on foreign oil, we will be better off. Their solution is drill at home. What we aren\'t realizing is the consequences of this. Oil is a fossil fuel, nonrenewable resource right? An oil field in Texas started forming at the beginning of time, and will be exhausted  in a about decade if our oil consumption continues to climb. The earth simply can not keep producing fossil fuels, the time it takes to form a deposit that will pay for itself is way into the future.

By not investing in a form of energy that we can use as many times as we want, THAT is what will be putting the hurt on the future. Yeah, it\'s not cheap now. But with time and as the renewable resource industry grows, it will become cheaper and more prominent. While if we waited till we absolutely needed to use renewable energy, the prices of production and the higher demands would be impossible to meet if we don\'t exploit and further research how to improve efficiency in this gold mine of clean energy.  

The environment also plays a big role. We can\'t trash the place up, you see what happens to contaminated streams after DDT poisoning from the early 1900s, the pesticides we use are nasty. Just think of how damaging petroleum is, with a higher sulfur content it is bad news for any living creature. We think we can contain it, but we can\'t. When drilling for oil, gases are released immediately after you hit the well. When coal mining, toxins escape the mines and enter streams and aquifers.  

Whether we like it or not, we need to prepare ourselves for the future of our children and grandchildren.  We can\'t achieve that by exhausting our main fuel sources, and leaving them a screwed up environment to boot.
"Remember, the Titanic was built by professionals. The Ark was built by Amateurs"

Offline crazy

• VIP MEMBER
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2008, 06:55:16 PM »
Quote from: KU0DM;16261

Plus there are many environmental and personal risks to drilling off shore, drilling for oil as it is isn\'t safe, now doing that over water makes it riskier. Plus in the Gulf to boot! Imagine what happens if a big hurricane comes through, those platforms could easily be heavily damaged, OR destroyed by the power of storms. It\'s like playing in the freeway.  

When Katrina came through the gulf, and there was no (or little damage), that proved that drilling was safer now than ever, and that convinced me to support it.   If not, Cuba will get better at slant drilling and take it from us anyway.  Might as well use it ourselves first.  IMO.

crazy
Peace will not be found at a MidEast table. Peace began at a MidEast STABLE, but everyone seems to deny it.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.
Believing in  evolution is like expecting a tornado to go through a junkyard and create a Mercedes Benz on its way out!
If you don\'t stand behind our US troops, then please feel free to stand in front of them. Yea, that\'s what I thought..........