Author Topic: Callsigns  (Read 10973 times)

Offline KF4FMT

• View Profile
Callsigns
« on: August 16, 2008, 03:33:52 PM »
I am planning on upgrading to General Class by the end of the year. I have held my current callsign since I was originally licensed in 1995. I would like to change my callsign either now or when I upgrade.

I was wondering how many of you have kept their/your original callsign even when you have upgraded.

Was a new callsign automatically assigned?  
Did you go through the vanity callsign program?

It\'s not that I hate my callsign, it is dear to me. I\'m just now getting back into ham radio after a long lapse and have set a goal to upgrade.  I thought a change in my callsign would therefore also be appropriate.
Proverbs 4:1  "HEAR, ye children, the instruction of a father, and attend to know understanding."  KJV

Offline KC4UMO

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.
Callsigns
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 08:03:14 PM »
Like you my call is dear to me. I had it since the begining and do not plan on changing it. I did always want an "N" call but they had ran out by the time I got my tech. Although my call is a 2x3 call it does sound pretty good in CW.

Offline KC2RPP

• View Profile
Callsigns
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 09:34:53 PM »
MY call sign shound lol funny when u say the last three letters

Offline KF4FMT

• View Profile
Callsigns
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 10:50:03 PM »
I know several hams in my locals club that I believe have kept their original callsign.  I know what I would like to change it to, but I am leaning on keeping the one I have since I have had it so long.
Proverbs 4:1  "HEAR, ye children, the instruction of a father, and attend to know understanding."  KJV

Offline KI4RVH

• View Profile
Callsigns
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 12:44:53 PM »
I\'ve kept the same one I\'ve always had.  I\'ve upgraded to extra now.  I thought about getting a 2 by 2 when I upgraded but everyone knows me by my call sign so I just decided to leave it.  Its all personal preference.   When you upgrade if you check the callsign change box I believe they\'ll assign you a new one.  

Chris

Offline KC8TCQ

• View Profile
Callsigns
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 04:28:37 PM »
I\'ll keep my callsign, heck it took me long enough to remember this one and that was before my stroke which causes me to have memory issues.

Besides it sounds kinda cool calling CQ

CQ CQ CQ CQ CQ CQ this is KC8TCQ calling CQ and Standing by :arf2:
73 de Keith KC8TCQ
:music334:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline KB3LAZ

• View Profile
Callsigns
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 06:42:49 PM »
I kept mine and it will never change!!!!!
It suits me,(laz) lazy!:arf2:
73 de kb3laz

Offline K0DXC

• View Profile
    • http://www.qrz.com/callsign/k0dxc
Callsigns
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 04:05:47 PM »
Quote from: KF4FMT;16581
I am planning on upgrading to General Class by the end of the year. I have held my current callsign since I was originally licensed in 1995. I would like to change my callsign either now or when I upgrade.

I was wondering how many of you have kept their/your original callsign even when you have upgraded.

Was a new callsign automatically assigned?  
Did you go through the vanity callsign program?

It\'s not that I hate my callsign, it is dear to me. I\'m just now getting back into ham radio after a long lapse and have set a goal to upgrade.  I thought a change in my callsign would therefore also be appropriate.

My grandpa has held his original callsign for 50 years. He was licensed as KN9MMS when he was 14 back in 1958 and then when he upgraded to general his call was automatically changed to K9MMS but he has still kept the same call.

As for me..... I changed my call from KC0USZ to K0DXC right when I upgraded to general.
Cal, K0DXC

Offline KF4FMT

• View Profile
Callsigns
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 09:28:59 PM »
So far:  5 haven\'t changed their callsign and 1 has

Guess I\'ll decide later.:th_Smile-KnockKnock   My wife thinks I should keep it.  I\'ll start a General Class soon at my local Ham club.

Offline AB9QU

• View Profile
Callsigns
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 01:34:34 PM »
I changed mine sequentially when I upgraded to extra for the 2x2. Now however when I give my call they almost always think I say kb9qu.