Author Topic: Hello every one!  (Read 8655 times)

Offline saturn5tony

• Live long and prosper!
    • View Profile
Hello every one!
« on: March 20, 2016, 03:37:12 PM »
Hi All and you too Radio Tech as well. I've been here a few times, and decided too introduce myself today and hope to come back more. I saw many of your youtubes RT and clicked on the link in one of them recently to check this site out. I did not know It was yours and so glad that it is. Your youtube's are awesome as I have said. Am I mistaken in that your name is Buddy? OK, now a bit about me.

I have been mostly a computer geek for many years but have been into electronics since the late 60's. Worked at a few electronic like company's with transistor and early IC components (tech and design) but got into software for most of the late 80's and into the rest of that time until I had a stroke a few years ago and decided to retire early. Seems my wife and the doctors said I had too, oh well so I did. Took a while but back into just getting back into it. Electronics that is. No too much software though, just building and fixing stuff again and loving it.

Started to look closer at antique radios lately, got my tech license back a few years ago (never was really a big RF man) but got my degree in the electronic field in my 20's and just enjoying (NOW) getting into older (more fun) tube like radio equipment. Wanting to up my radio knowledge a bit now as well. Want to get a general class soon also and try a bit more of the Ham areas.

Just happy to play around with anything that has legs a bit bigger than surface mount invisible components like older transistors and now vacuum filled glass bulbs... haha!! Still love chips but a 12AX7 does hold a feel of fun for me because I play a guitar, love that old tech, and it truly does make a difference with sound.

All in all, pushing electrons has been in my blood since childhood, with many labs or benches or (shacks lol). Radio now has my interests along with Ham stuff and glad to be here and hope to share stuff with you guys and gals. I like to think of myself as an all around lover of this technology but now, a newer appreciation for the awesome stuff that has been built in the early days. I hope I can contribute as much as many of you has given here and elsewhere.

(Live long and prosper)  \\//
-Tony

Offline The Radio Shop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Hello every one!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 09:15:27 PM »
Hi Tony,
Welcome to the forum.
Things are a bit slow here but hoping that will change sometime soon. This place was once rocking back in the day. This forum has been up since the beginning of the internet is some shape and form.

Thanks for sharing your story.  Sounds like you had it pretty tough for a bit. Hope all is going ok now.

I toll love electronics, not sure if you can tell lol.
Ham radio is a interesting hobby. I find I  work on them way more than I talk.
Thanks for stopping in and talking to us. Just maybe we can get this place turned around and make it an interesting home.

Glad you like the videos.
Buddy aka radio tech

PS You must like Star Trek. I sure do.
Buddy kc4umo

Offline saturn5tony

• Live long and prosper!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 09:44:45 AM »
Hi Buddy,
Yea always liked Star trek and Im talkin the 67 versions not really Next gen, but all of them were great, pickard was cool and it must be something about that and us electronic peeps! For some reason it seems many of us are into electronics, trek and guitar... lol

Yes I understand a few of your messages on this site does not seem to attract attention. Saw one topic posted in 2008 and then a reply in 2014.. hmm seems a bit odd. Yanoo.. like I mentioned in my previous hello message, I did not understand this forum and I did not connect it with you. "The Hobby Forum" and to the right "simple machines forum" does not make sense in a way. To me it shows nothing about electronics until you read further and then you can understand it. When I clicked on the site in your youtube and came here, I thought I was redirected to a wrong site.

I thought it was for your personal blog or something Buddy on the YT link. Hmm just a thought and my humble opinions which are just that... humble haha! Can you change the heading from "The Hobby Forum" to "The Electronics Universe" hehe, or something like that.... or are you stuck with that heading now after all these years. Great site though outside of that and the topics a right on and (like me, I play more on the bench than talk) I hope to look more into them and thanks for adding me into your site.
-Tony

Offline The Radio Shop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 08:14:16 AM »
This site used to roll in back in the day. I shut it down for a while and re-opened it up a year later.

Check the top left logo now. It has changed. The Simple Machine Forum logo is part of the forum software. been meaning to change it now I have an excuse.
I want to do a site make over and then later change the url. When this site first opened it was all about gokart racing. I used to do this professionally. The local track closed up and I shut the site down. I just have so many links here to other sites if I change URL those links will be broken.
But going to do a site clean up soon.
Buddy kc4umo

Offline saturn5tony

• Live long and prosper!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 05:24:58 PM »
WOOW!!!!
I was just giving an opinion about this Buddy!!!  Whew!! I does look better to me now! hahaha!!!
I does seem cool though!! It does look great to see all your gear as well. Well so glad your gonna redo this site also. You are one of the few favorite electronic guys I always listen too as well on YT and I hope you can grow in many other areas!! Your work and tips are awesome!

Well other than that I see you got another YT for tonight that I will watch and Buddy, have a very happy Easter and I hope you and your family can enjoy the day and take a break from these electrons and enjoy the Ham, turkey or whatever and God bless you my friend.

THE  Electronics  Universe RULES!!!!
-Tony

Offline The Radio Shop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 05:38:14 PM »
No problem Tony. The site really needs a make over. I liked your suggestion and ran with it.
I am going to be spending a lot more time working on the site to make it better and easier to navigate. Just takes time.

Glad you are liking the videos my friend. Always great to hear feed back from others. And yes just uploaded a new shop talk video. Hope you enjoy it.

Have a great Easter Tony and many blessing your way.
Buddy
Buddy kc4umo