Author Topic: Newbie...  (Read 6816 times)

Offline kinkydoints

• KN4SNM
    • View Profile
Newbie...
« on: January 05, 2017, 07:47:42 PM »
wow can't believe that I haven't found this site until now. I have been a radio nut for a long time , Dad had his hr2510 10 meter setup for a long time in the '80's with his passing I ended up with the very radio that got me interested in the "cb" thing back in the day. In the mid 90"s I found myself installing this in my truck with all the stuff he had setup. There is a palomar 250 amp , mobile antenna tuner , swr/power meter , I added a 102 " whip to the mix .  back then to get a ham novice you needed cw to complete the license , and I tried to get that into my head but failed to go all the way. built long line antennas to test for fun and learn more on how to DIY . changed jobs were I lost the extra time to keep this fire going. I moved just a few months ago and found the rig in a box and got my interest up again. well this got me to the point of getting a heathkit sb614 station monitor . My goal is to get that old monitor up and running by rebuilding , refurbishing this old unit. I will need to get all the bits together , I did find a parts list for the unit and need to get some help with the best way to get these bits... caps, resistors and such. I have in the past done some small soldering on boards but not like this project. At the time in the 90's I did use the unit on side band to talk to a station in southern Australia . Well after all this time I think I would like to get the 2510 upgraded with cap/res replaced by someone better than me...ha ha , I might be able to handle that old heathkit but ... I let the radio go to a pro. to refurbish . any  Ideas on best place to start on my sb614 as far as parts?
KN4SNM

Offline k7rmj

• View Profile
Re: Newbie...
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 06:06:07 PM »
Greetings Kinkydoints and welcome to the Forum. Hope you enjoy it as much as I have since discovering it about a month ago.

73 DE K7RMJ  Frank

PS... You might consider getting your ham license again. You no longer need the code for any of the ham licenses. You just need to know a bit of electronics theory, radiowave propagation and the obligatory rules and regulations.

Offline The Radio Shop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 05:50:13 AM »
Hi And welcome to the forum.

Those rigs are great little sets to have. Not hard to replace the caps. If you search through YouTube will you find videos on it.

Here is the manual for the SB-614
http://gmcotton.com/ham_radio/misc%20manuals/Heathkkit/Heathkit%20SB614%20Monitor%20Scope%20.pdf

Replace all the capacitors...must.
Check values of all the resistors. They drift out over time. She should be good to go.
Buddy kc4umo

Offline kinkydoints

• KN4SNM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 07:03:31 AM »
I have noticed that there are sites that have practice tests for the novice side, reviewed my technician No Code plus book that I picked up back in the day as well as the cassette tapes with the cw practice on them...lost my cassette player??? ha ha. but took one of the tests with no real studying and results were good 80 % correct would have passed that one no trouble. still have the knowledge I learned 25 yrs ago. Im hooked. 
KN4SNM

Offline k7rmj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 06:52:26 PM »
A really good ham radio test exam can be found at www.qrz.com
Just click on the Resources tab and one of the selections will be Practice Amateur Radio Exams. You will find practice exams for all 3 license classes. If you can pass those tests regularly at 80% you will have no trouble passing the test for your license.

73 DE K7RMJ  Frank