Author Topic: The Tower Project 2011  (Read 6286 times)

Offline k7rmj

• View Profile
The Tower Project 2011
« on: January 26, 2017, 05:08:49 PM »
Back in 2011 I put up a tower at the home QTH in Missouri after many years of wanting one. Since then I have moved, but I will never forget this project. It was a lot of fun. The attached document is how it went. The document is a bit long, but it was a very long project. Overall it took over 2 years to get it done. So, kick back with a cold one and take a look. I hope you enjoy it. Let me know if you do.

73 DE K7RMJ  Frank

Offline The Radio Shop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: The Tower Project 2011
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 08:40:19 PM »
Frank,
That was a good read. Very nice install of that tower.
When you moved did you take it down?

Thanks for sharing.
Buddy kc4umo

Offline k7rmj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 11:50:34 PM »
Hi Buddy,
Yup. Took it down and sold the tower and hazer system. I wish I still had it but there were space limitations on the truck that moved us so it didn't make it down here to Arkansas. I still have the Mosley TA-33 beam and the rotor and thrust bearing though. I bought a Glenn Martin roof-top tower for here in Arkansas. It is only 8 ft tall but when I get it on the roof it will be about 35 feet from the top of the mast to the ground level. Our house sits on a lot that is very slanted downhill toward the back yard. BUT, the old problem of too many huge trees is back with me again. I have to either remove some of them or get a beam with a smaller footprint, whichever is less expensive and I think the new beam would be less. Those little mini beams work pretty good and have a small footprint. If anyone is interested in the Mosley beam it might be for sale or trade soon.

73 DE K7RMJ  Frank

Offline The Radio Shop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 05:06:08 AM »
Cool deal. I have one of the older Butternutt antennas. It works pretty good. Even survived a wind storm from Mathew. Although it ended up in some trees.
I also have a Hygain TH6DX. That is a monster.
Buddy kc4umo

Offline k7rmj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 10:04:08 AM »
Wow Buddy, your Butternutt survived Mathew! That makes a pretty good statement for the durability of their beams. Do you have that monster TH6DXX up in the air yet?

Offline The Radio Shop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 07:58:41 PM »
The Butternut is a tough little antenna. Works a charm.
The TH6DXX is up 28 feet. This thing weighs in at 90 pounds plus!!
Just too much antenna to put on top of the tower lol. I have it on a short telephone pole beside the shop.  Also have a platform built under it so I can service the thing.
Buddy kc4umo