Author Topic: On / Off volume switch repair? poor old hallicrafter  (Read 8190 times)

Offline kinkydoints

• KN4SNM
    • View Profile
On / Off volume switch repair? poor old hallicrafter
« on: September 09, 2018, 01:32:43 PM »
in my first stage of this attempt to repair a hallicrafters s120 , I found that this on/off volume switch was used to power up straight from line cord. no fuse . I decided to remove and clean contacts and wiper on the inside with some contact cleaner . upon doing this the on /off switch stopped working and let the shaft rotate too far around. then would not return to off ... no click off . opened the switch up to find that the finger inside that goes into the switch was worn bad enough to miss the slot or slip by the slot . I seen a technique to fix plastic with super glue and baking soda . ? was wondering if this just way too  much work ,and be better off trying to find a replacement  . any idea where to find a replacement with the shaft as long with internal switch . shaft looks to be 3"  to 3.25" long this is listed in the part list as a 2 meg ohm 30% 1/8 watt variable, volume control switch with internal switch. ya guess im stuck trying to fix that finger . got some small files to fine tune the repair, might take longer than i hoped to get this radio up and running.
KN4SNM

Offline kinkydoints

• KN4SNM
    • View Profile
Re: On / Off volume switch repair? poor old hallicrafter
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 07:11:15 AM »
well I have not tried this kind of repair before but after some fabrication and tuning , the switch works again on /off volume.  it might not be a permanent repair , but it's until I can find a replacement.

Was wondering on this s120 there is a standby /receive switch , used to keep the units tubes powered up and hot for instant on...if i used a potentiometer of the correct resistance . without a switch. I would like to use that standby switch to power on / off shouldn't be to hard to rework the wiring .

KN4SNM

Offline kinkydoints

• KN4SNM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 07:18:35 AM »
found that the stop was not stopping the shaft from rotating all the way through . reason for two places of repair
KN4SNM

Offline The Radio Shop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 12:48:53 PM »
Seen that a few times.
Buddy kc4umo

Offline kinkydoints

• KN4SNM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 07:31:55 PM »
Doing a restoration is not as easy as I thought. have run into some setbacks but am still going forward. had a broken knob on one of the rotary switch's and did some searching for a repair option. found a youtube video
that addressed the problem . cloning vintage knobs Wesley Treat's channel had this video. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNBHtlhlHF4       10 min. video was very cool had some things to buy but the quality of the repair and the "original " look it gives right down to the small scratches was very impressive  for the do it yourself kinda person.
KN4SNM

Offline The Radio Shop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 09:59:19 AM »
Doing a restoration is not as easy as I thought. have run into some setbacks but am still going forward. had a broken knob on one of the rotary switch's and did some searching for a repair option. found a youtube video
that addressed the problem . cloning vintage knobs Wesley Treat's channel had this video. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNBHtlhlHF4       10 min. video was very cool had some things to buy but the quality of the repair and the "original " look it gives right down to the small scratches was very impressive  for the do it yourself kinda person.

I agree, restorations can really be tough at times. Finding and recreating vintage parts are near to impossible.  Why I never throw out old electronics.

That was an excellent video. Thank you for posting it. I never seen that one. His style is fun to watch.
Buddy kc4umo

Offline KE4EST

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 04:00:52 PM »
That was an awesome video on making knobs!
Michael, KE4EST