Author Topic: Realistic TRC 448 very low out-put  (Read 4234 times)

Offline white knite

• View Profile
Realistic TRC 448 very low out-put
« on: December 04, 2018, 10:30:49 AM »
I have a TRC 448 that has a very low output of @1/3 watt swing to @3/4 watt. I have replaced the driver and final and it still has exactly the same output as before.  Other than the low transmit signal, it gets good reports of signal quality. Is there another transistor, like a pre-driver I should be looking at?  Any advice would be appreciated.

Offline The Radio Shop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Realistic TRC 448 very low out-put
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 07:56:39 AM »
Have you recapped the radio? That is always the first step in a radio of this vintage.
Not saying it will fix your problem but would be a good start.
Buddy kc4umo

Offline white knite

• View Profile
Re: Realistic TRC 448 very low out-put
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 09:22:32 AM »
It has not been recapped yet. I know that would certainly be very helpfull of any radio of this age.  I was hoping to narrow the problem down first as I have never recapped a radio before as this radio has a lot of caps. The problem could well be in a bad cap as I did see the output go up momentarily when I was testing it after the driver and final replacement.  I will have to do some practicing. I have two Cobra 29's in need of recapping. I'll practice on them first before tackling this TRC 448. I need to find me a parts list so I can order my caps for it. Thankyou.