Author Topic: Service monitor  (Read 14532 times)

Offline KC4UMO

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.
Service monitor
« on: March 25, 2004, 09:03:30 AM »
Since the early 80 I have thought about taking a cobra radio and converting it to a servive monitor. Not sure which cobra to use but any should work fine. I have looked at the B&K and they are too expensive for my taste.
Anyone have any thoughts on this:

Offline KC4UMO

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.
Service monitor
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 09:06:08 AM »
Well, I am using a cobr radio to tune and lign other radios. Sort of crude but works. Now if I could just add some features

Offline Invisible_2_no1

• View Profile
    • http://
Service Monitor
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2004, 08:26:15 AM »
I would like to se this modification. I dont think it would be hard to convert a cobra into a full serviice monitor.  You should be able to ass features like 400, 1000 hz tone to it also. You can also pull the 455kz straight to an output jack.

Just an idea.

(AKA Just_A_Mom with a new attitude)

Offline The Radio Shop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Service monitor
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 09:34:30 AM »
Now this brings back memories
Buddy kc4umo

Offline hackindave

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 08:16:41 PM »
The "monitor" system you are building in a computer case has had my head running ever since I saw it. I want to make something similar. I also want to add a 350 watt computer power supply to it. It should give me about a 30 amp supply. The good part about it, it will also give me a 5volt line, and I am going to pull a 12volt line and make a circuit to make it variable from about 3 volts up. I have about 4 29GTL classics that I am going to use in it. I can make a signal generator with it and put a line in for the 455 signal out of it. I will have a speaker hooked to the 29 so I can hear what ever radio I am working on.  I thought about putting a ssb radio in it so I can check ssb. I pulled my old Browning LTD out the other day, but really don't want to "trash" the LTD. Think I will head over to E-Bay and find a cheap 40 channel ssb radio I can put in it. Probably a Realistic as I don't have use for most of their radios...

When I get going on it, I will post some pictures

Offline The Radio Shop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 09:32:58 PM »
Hey that sounds great. A realistic should make a fine unit.  I have to get back on mine. Just so busy latley hard to do it. But makes me feel good knowing that others are following it.

I like the 5 volt line also. Thought about making it varible to supply voltage to nonworking stages of the unit under test. Another thing I want to design is an frequency error meter.  +/- 5 kc analog type. I have that in my expensive IRF and would love to have it in the homebrew rig.
Buddy kc4umo

Offline hackindave

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 03:10:51 PM »
I got to thinking more about it last night. Some other things that could be added. I will have the 5 volt variable in it also, but I am also going to add a salt water dummy load to it. This way it can all be home brew and no oils to mess with. I think you could almost build just about everything you need inside a computer case, except a scope.

http://www.qsl.net/k5lxp/projects/SaltLoad/SaltLoad.html

Offline The Radio Shop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 03:29:47 PM »
tone generator
Buddy kc4umo

Offline hackindave

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 05:50:27 AM »
Is this a stable tone?

Offline 577-Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 08:27:54 AM »
Hopping aboard guys,,
 I have an empty puter chassis out in the shop and would like to build a nice service monitor out of it also.
 Great ideas here!!!

Offline The Radio Shop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 09:05:29 AM »
Good deal Tommy. Keep us posted on results :)

Dave. The 555 tone generator is stable, but nasty. So we have to clean it up a bit.
Buddy kc4umo